This Instagrammer has a great way to remind us to laugh at ourselves.
Michelle Liu, founder of the popular Instagram account Chinventures, has developed a funny way to bring the humor and realism back to social media. “Chinventures” is a travel account, but, instead of posting perfectly staged photos of herself in various destinations, she posts a “chinning” selfie — one shot from a low angle that emphasizes the chin sags most people dread about themselves.
“Strangers notice me chinning,” she said. “Some appear shocked, others confused, but across the board from my experience, they are usually entertained.” Michelle began chinning in middle school as a way to entertain her friends, but this experience has taught her a bigger lesson about embracing her own quirkiness and learning not to take herself too seriously.
She’s even gotten others to join in the fun!
The account’s goofy goal is to remind us to laugh at ourselves and to present ourselves the way we truly are. This, when you get down to it, is at the heart of humility. In learning not to take our reputation so seriously, we gain freedom from others’ opinions of us and freedom for pursuing God’s glory alone.
Hopefully, the next time we worry about others’ opinions, we can take a tip from Michelle and embrace the messy, the imperfect, and, of course, the silly.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!