Bite-sized quotes that pack a large spiritual punch.
One of the ways they can inspire us is through their various “sayings.” The close disciples of these holy monks wrote down their profound wisdom and by the 5th century had compiled it into a volume called the Sayings of the Fathers. It features an immense treasury of bite-sized quotes that pack a large spiritual punch. Here is a short sampling of five sayings that will help fill your spiritual sails and get you through the week.
Abba Hyperechius said, “Let your thoughts be ever in the kingdom of heaven and soon you will possess it as a heritage.”
Abba Or said, “The crown of the monk is humility.”
A brother asked Abba Tithoes, “Which way leads to humility?” The old man said, “The way of humility is this: self-control, prayer, and thinking yourself inferior to all creatures.”
Abba Sarmatas said, “Ί prefer a sinful man who knows he has sinned and repents, to a man who has not sinned and considers himself to be righteous.”
A brother asked Abba Sisoes, “What shall I do, abba, for I have fallen?” The old man said to him, “Get up again.” The brother said, “Ί have got up again, but I have fallen again.” The old man said, “Get up again and again.” So then the brother said, “How many times?” The old man said, “Until you are taken up either in virtue or in sin. For a man presents himself to judgment in the state in which he is found.”
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!