A close and personal view of the great work by Hubert and Jan van Eyck is now available thanks to an enhanced web app
The highly complex, 12-panel oil painting in St. Bavo’s Cathedral, tells the story of Christianity from the Annunciation to the Crucifixion.
One can still battle the crowds and stand in front of the 15th-century Ghent altarpiece in Belgium to explore the iconography of Catholicism in this one work of art, but now — thanks to The Closer to Van Eyck web application, first launched in 2012 — it is possible to zoom in and observe the intricate details of the painting from the comfort of one’s home. The app has recently been enhanced to allow an even closer look of the great work.
Having undergone major conservation work under the collaboration of Belgium’s Royal Institute for Cultural Heritage and the Getty Foundation in Los Angeles, the altarpiece can now be viewed by the public as closely as it was viewed during the conservation process.
Visitors to the app’s website can zoom in for microscopic views in 100 billion pixels, and they can look at the painting all different stages of the conservation process, under infrared light and x-ray views.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!