The extravagant record-breaking purchase comes in the midst of a crackdown on personal enrichment in the kingdom
Prince Bader bin Abdullah bin Mohammed bin arhan al-Saud, the New York Times reported, is not known to be a major art collector, and is a friend and associate of Saudi Arabia’s crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman.
The timing of the purchase is puzzling, coming in the midst of Prince Mohammad’s crackdown on corruption and self-enrichment in Saudi Arabia. On November 4, the Times reported, the crown prince detained 200 of the richest Saudi princes, businessmen and government officials.
Why a Saudi prince with close ties to the regime would risk offending Muslims within his country with an extravagant purchase of a painting of Jesus Christ as Savior of the world, is similarly mystifying.
The Times reported that while Prince Bader did not respond to a request to comment, the newly opened branch of the Louvre in Adu Dhabi, in the United Arab Emirates, tweeted on Wednesday that “Da Vinci’s Salvator Mundi is coming to 3LouvreAbuDhabi.”
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!