Speaking to one of 2017’s biggest Catholic youth events, the Cotabato archbishop gives this recipe for influencing one person at a time.
According to Cardinal Orlando Quevedo, the archbishop of Cotabato, Philippines, there are five ways to concretely change the world one day at a time, one person at a time.
- Love and friendship. According to Quevedo, true friendship is possible when one recognizes that “your friend is a person whom God created,” and that your friendship is based on this.
- Environment. “We need to leave a planet that is worth cultivating and be a resident of.”
- Proclamation of the Gospel. “First of all, know what the Gospel is about, the good news: the liberation of ourselves from sinfulness.” … “As millennials, yours is the digital language, you understand the language of computers, social media. … Use your cellphones to proclaim the Gospel of God.”
- The challenge of youth itself. Help “change [young people’s] mentality … so that idealism and energy of young people be used for the good.”
- Bearers of peace in our world. “Peace comes from God, you receive peace because of God. … [Have] peace in the mind and heart. If there is peace within people it is God’s love that [binds] two people together.”
The cardinal was speaking November 9 at the National Youth Day (NYD) 2017 commissioning and send-off Mass, one of the year’s biggest gatherings of Filipino Catholic young people.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!