Designer Jeffrey Phillip shows us how to stow away those festive items until next year.
Jeffrey’s overall philosophy has a lot to do with using the right containers—he emphasizes this tip in many organizing situations, but in this case, using appropriate storage solutions can make all the difference. And don’t worry, he doesn’t advocate using expensive specialty containers, but rather reasonable plastic boxes and ornament organizers as well as reusable garment bags and other ordinary household objects to get a handle on all that tinsel.
Quality containers that are long enough to hold wrapping paper and include smaller boxes to hold other wrapping supplies are a great place to start. And for all those heirloom ornaments: instead of using tissue paper and the original boxes, try buying an inexpensive ornament organizer and use acid-free paper in order to keep moisture away from them all year long.
And before you buy a few new containers and mindlessly stuff all your Christmas decor into them, first take one of Jeffrey’s biggest pieces of advice, and toss it! Don’t keep things that you no longer love—even when it comes to holiday decor. If you didn’t want to display that old wreath this year, chances are you won’t like it any more next year, so get rid of it! Take all of your unwanted decor to a local thrift store—perhaps someone else will love your old things.
Watch the video below to get some more of Jeffrey’s expert advice on storing all your Christmas gear, and happy packing!
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!