More are being planned for the US and the UK in 2018!
Using a key card, any homeless person in need can access the machines up to three times a day. The much-needed essentials include water, socks, sanitary towels, food, and other toiletries. The machines themselves are stocked by volunteers, but, according to their website, “a considerable amount of food we vend is received from redistribution organizations seeking to reduce food waste.”
We need more of this.
Geplaatst door Ashton Kutcher op Dinsdag 26 december 2017
An important benefit of this approach is that those in need are able to access these necessities at any hour, without being limited by the operating hours of local shelters.
These vending machines are already providing many vulnerable people with basic needs, and hopefully we’ll be able in the U.S. next year as well.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!