Our cats, dogs and hamsters are the best relationship builders with other people.
But your dog, cat, parakeet or hamster is not the only beneficiary of this relationship. For instance, the Department of Pediatrics of the School of Medicine and Public Health of the University of Wisconsin has confirmed children exposed to dogs and cats are less likely to develop allergic diseases. Sharing one’s infancy with furry companions — especially around the time of birth — positively influences and helps develop kids’ immune system.
But not only kids benefit from having a pet around. In an article published by Barbara Ballinger on AgingCare.com, psychotherapist Dr. Jay P. Granat affirms that since cats and dogs live pretty much in the “here and now,” and don’t really care about tomorrow (as animals lack that kind of self-awareness, according to most philosophers and animal ethicists), they help older adults not to excessively focus on tomorrow and enjoy the present more fully. Also, as they provide companionship, pets help fight depression caused by loneliness.
Pets help people build relationships, not only with other animal lovers, but in general. By providing a sense of “otherness,” pets can indeed “teach” their human owners the basics of bonding with “someone” else in very basic levels, thus giving their owners some fundamental, ABC-kind-of “training” to deal with the complexities proper to human relationships.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!