His words challenge us to love others courageously.
In particular, St. Ambrose was never one to mince words and presented the truth in simple clarity. When it came to charity towards others, he spoke plainly and challenged his listeners to live the Gospel message with full heroism.
Here are five quotes from St. Ambrose that may cut through our own heart and force us to examine our lives and how we love our neighbor.
Do not desert a friend in time of need, nor forsake him nor fail him, for friendship is the support of life.
If friends in prosperity help friends, why do they not also in times of adversity offer their support? Let us aid by giving counsel, let us offer our best endeavors, let us sympathize with them with all our heart.
There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.
It is a better thing to save souls for the Lord than to save treasures. He who sent forth his apostles without gold had not need of gold to form his Church. The Church possesses gold, not to hoard, but to scatter abroad and come to the aid of the unfortunate.
If you have two shirts in your closet, one belongs to you and the other to the man with no shirt.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!