Which are closest to God, seraphim or cherubim? Who are the powers and principalities?
So there is no uniform classification in the Church, but there is the consistent idea of a “hierarchical, gradual, and ordered way in which the divine light is communicated to the angels, from the first hierarchies to the last” (St. Thomas Aquinas).
Click on the first image to see the slideshow:
This article was originally published in the French edition of Aleteia and has been translated and/or adapted here for English speaking readers
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!