Which are closest to God, seraphim or cherubim? Who are the powers and principalities?
So there is no uniform classification in the Church, but there is the consistent idea of a “hierarchical, gradual, and ordered way in which the divine light is communicated to the angels, from the first hierarchies to the last” (St. Thomas Aquinas).
Click on the first image to see the slideshow:
This article was originally published in the French edition of Aleteia and has been translated and/or adapted here for English speaking readers
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!