Florence and her roommate, Alexandra, span a 68-year age gap.
With research showing the correlation between loneliness and ill health, the campaign in the UK to break the isolation that many elderly people find themselves in is much needed. Florence, who herself is partially blind, said that after her husband died and her children moved away, she found herself “looking at four walls and thinking ‘what am I going to do now?'”
But now she says, “You cannot believe the difference that it makes just hearing somebody in the house. And, to me, now to hear the key in the lock ’round about 6 o’clock at night is wonderful.”
But Florence isn’t the only one feeling less alone. Alexandra says that the program has provided her with a place to feel safe in a new city, and she now considers Florence more of a friend than anything.
You can hear more from Florence and Alexandra in the video below.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!