An exorcist from Sicily recounts the case of Maria, tormented by Satan for 5 years
Fr. Benigno, a member of the Franciscan Friars Minor of the Renewal, an exorcist, and a formator of exorcists in Sicily for the Sicilian Episcopal Conference, told Aleteia about Maria.
“Among all of the cases of liberation that I have seen in my 18 years of exorcisms, it’s one of the ones that has touched me most deeply; I presented it this year during the meeting for study and comparison among Sicilian exorcists,” he explains.
“Although she was possessed, Maria was constantly at our little church, in the little town of Sant’Isidoro in Palermo. It was terrible to hear the devil speaking through her during the liturgies: she cursed those in attendance and the priest who presided over the Mass, she interfered during the homily, and in the presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, she would shout that it should be kept far away from her. At the most turbulent moments,” the friar says, “she was moved to a room off to the side, but her curses reached the ears of those who were praying. And her heart was full of profound and unjustified hatred towards her husband and her children.”
To this suffering of her spirit was added the misery of her body. “The pain that she suffered—physically as well—was incredible, above all during the exorcisms: she felt terrible pangs, as if she were being stabbed throughout her whole body. She contorted, she suffered atrociously. Often, her abdomen became very distended.”
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!