It isn’t much but it may become someone’s treasure for a lifetime.
As a young girl, the woman was constantly harassed and verbally abused by her mother. One day, while in an elevator, this scenario was taking place in front of a group of strangers. As she began to follow her mother out of the elevator, one stranger whispered to her, “Hey, it’s not you. It’s her.” It may have been a small comment, but it became a gift to her for many years after.
“The point?” he continued. “If you have a nice thing to say — a word of encouragement, a compliment — even if it’s to a passing stranger … Don’t hold onto it. Cause you never know where and when it will land.”
In response to the story, more and more Twitter users began to share their own experiences with words of kindness that helped them through difficult times, from suffering child abuse to the stress of being a new mother.
Small words of kindness can become the most treasured blessings for one day or even for a lifetime, and they are messages we should remember to appreciate and to give whenever we see someone who might be in need of a little encouragement.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!