Patriarch Kirill’s remarks came in a congratulatory note to the president after his election to a fourth term
In a message released to the press, Patriarch Kirill wrote:
“Your convincing victory at the elections in open and honest procedure with high turnout witnesses to the fact that Russians of various nationalities, religions and confessions, to different social and age groups, even to different political views have united around you.”
In the message, the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church said that the election was an affirmation of Putin’s vision of “a peace-loving, truly sovereign state that secures human rights and freedoms and bears responsibility for preserving and multiplying spiritual, moral and cultural values that formed our country.”
“May God keep you in good physical and spiritual health and give you strength to carry out what you have planned, which was so decisively backed up by our people. To you, national leader, on behalf of the Russian Orthodox Church I declare: many good years!” the patriarch said.
Putin was elected to a fourth term with more than 76% of the vote according to an official tally. Turnout was reported to be more than 67%.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!