You may have a lot of things you can give away instead of throwing them in the trash.
Donating canned food and children’s toys is always important, but sometimes we have used items sitting around our houses that we don’t realize can also be donated to help others. From recycling wedding dresses to donating DVDs, many unexpected items can be used by nonprofits and other companies to reduce waste and help those in needs.
Here are 6 items you may have that you may not realize you can donate:
- Trophies. Donate your or your children’s old awards from high school so the parts can be reused and recycled.
- Old mascara applicators. When you finish your mascara, don’t throw out the applicator! Wildlife refuges can use them to protect rescue animals from fly eggs and larva.
- Prom and wedding dresses. Wedding dresses can be donated for women who can’t afford one, and other formal wear including prom dresses can be donated to support young women who would otherwise not be able to participate.
- DVDs, CDs, and books. These can be donated to More Than Words, an organization that “empowers youth who are in foster care, court-involved, homeless or out of school to take charge of their lives by taking charge of a business.”
- Old cellphones, tablets, and other electronics. Best Buy will accept your old electronics for recycling.
- Unused or partially used gift cards. Have a gift card lying around you never used? Or what about one with a seemingly useless $0.50 left on it? You can donate them through Compassion International to help release children from poverty.
So the next time spring cleaning rolls around, keep an eye out for these items and donate them to reduce waste and help others.