Rep. Megan Jones didn’t want to choose between her work and her daughter.
Recently, Representative Megan Jones and her daughter Alma Jones have been making the headlines and lighting up newsfeeds with their mother-daughter companionship.
Little Alma is still too young for daycare, and, as Megan explains, “My husband’s a farmer, so it’s not like he can strap a baby Bjorn to his chest and be hopping in and out of pay loader tractors and chasing after cows.”
Although her colleagues encouraged Megan to take longer maternity leave, she decided her constituents couldn’t wait. The solution? Take her daughter to work.
“My folks deserve to have a voice here,” she explained. “They elected me to do a job, and I needed to be here. So it was never a thought that I was going to take more time. I was going to take what we needed and that was it.”
House Speaker Linda Upmeyer says she hopes Megan’s decision will inspire other young women to know that it is possible to have both a family and a career. She said, “Even if you’re a young woman and you’re thinking about starting a family and all those kinds of things, this is still a possibility. And that’s really kind of a contrast from when I first ran for office and people were still asking me, ‘Well, who’s going to take care of your kids?’ despite the fact that I think my youngest one was perhaps a junior in high school.”
Megan has even had some help from her fellow representatives, like Rep. Matt Windschitl, who quietly fed Alma her bottle when she became fussy while her mom was leading a debate.
You can see more in the video below.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!