You don’t need to be an artist to do these soothing and cathartic activities.
Endless blogs and YouTube channels tell us how to practice self-care and provide inspiration for what to do. And for the more creatively minded (or even for those who aren’t), art can be a cathartic way to relax, unwind, destress.
So whether you’re a skilled artist or a novice, here’s seven ways to use art to practice self-care:
- Draw your mood. These can be images, colors, or shapes — whatever expresses how you’re feeling. Doing this daily can help increase self-awareness and prevent burn-out.
- Clay. Playing with clay is a great tactile exercise to release stress and anxiety from the body. Some people may also find that giving their hands something to fiddle with helps them focus.
- Containment journaling. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, set aside some time to release everything you are feeling, worrying about, or remembering by writing it all down — and hold nothing back. When the time you’ve allotted is up, set the writing aside and move on with your day. This can help prevent worrying or intrusive thoughts from bothering you throughout the day.
- Mindful drawing. Select a detailed image or photograph, e.g., the veins of a leaf or the pattern of a dress, and copy it slowly, mimicking each detail as closely as possible. If you can use something around your house or your own backyard, even better!
- Collage your emotions. Use newspapers, magazines, or photos and make something beautiful with your feelings.
- Messy art. Alternatively, sometimes it’s easiest to let go by coloring outside the lines. Whether it’s scribbling, splatter painting, or tearing, have fun with the materials instead of focusing on the final product.
- Be inspired by a quote. From your favorite book or one you found on Instagram — pick a quote and create. You can hand write it or draw a picture; whatever you do, let the words inspire you.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!