The indulgences are for those attending the event as well as those who are unable to travel to Dublin.
According to the Dicastery for Laity, Family and Life, the instructions explain “that the plenary indulgence is granted ‘on the usual conditions (sacramental Confession, Eucharistic Communion and prayer for the intentions of the Supreme Pontiff), in a spirit that is completely detached from affection for any sin, if they participate in some function’ during the meeting, ‘as well as at its solemn conclusion,’ in the presence of Pope Francis.”
Furthermore, those who are unable to attend the event “may obtain the Plenary Indulgence on the same conditions if, ‘united in spirit and in thought with the faithful present in Dublin they recite as a family the Our Father, the Creed and other devout prayers in order to invoke from the Divine Mercy the aims mentioned above, particularly at times when the Words and Messages of the Pope are broadcast via radio and television.'”
The document concludes by stating, “the partial indulgence is granted to the faithful whenever, with a contrite heart, in the indicated time they pray for the good of the families.”
About 22,000 people are already registered for the event, with an expected 2.7 million to attend the Papal events that will occur over the weekend of August 25-26.
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!