In this charming representation, Murillo links the Blessed Trinity in heaven with the Holy Family on earth in the Person of Jesus. Murillo reflects the Trinity and the Holy Family as models of loving relationship for all Christians. The Father in heaven holds the globe of power but wears no imperial trappings. The Holy Spirit in the form of a dove hovers over the young Jesus, whose halo symbolizes his divine nature. Mary looks to her Son, and Joseph looks to us as though inviting us into the family of God’s love.
In images: Picturing the Blessed Trinity
Joanne McPortland - published on 05/27/18
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!