The award-winning actress reminds us of a recent call by Catholic leaders to do more for children who need loving homes.
“There are hundreds of thousands of children that are ready to be your child,” she urged. “You’re a forever parent the minute you accept the love of that child.”
Bullock’s interview has come in the wake of a powerful call to action from Catholic leaders, urging the pro-life community to be proactive in aiding children in foster care. At a recent May 24 even in Washington, DC, called “Fostering A Culture of Hope,” Archbishop Joseph Naumann said:
“Foster care and adoption is another way that God is calling couples to be open to life, and not just infertile couples, but couples that have biological children who can welcome another child into their family.”
The problems in the current foster system have become all the more urgent due to the opioid crisis. The recent epidemic has caused a 383 percent increase between 2000 and 2012 in the number of babies born with neonatal abstinence syndrome, a type of withdrawal experienced by newborns due to their mother’s drug use.
At the same DC event, Carmel Communications president Lisa Ann Wheeler said, “I want the pro-life community to acknowledge more what is going on with the foster care crisis in this country. I feel very strongly that in a lot of ways it is connected to our desire to eradicate abortion.”
“It is key to our identity,” said Kathryn Jean Lopez, host of the event. “We are adopted daughters and sons of the Father, and we shouldn’t have orphans in our midst.”
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!