A record 43% of those polled don’t think pornography is wrong. You might be surprised by who they are.
Here are a few key points that can be gleaned from the poll:
1. Unmarried people are pornography’s fasting growing proponents
When asked whether they thought pornography was morally acceptable 50% of unmarried people said “yes” compared to the 35% of unmarried Americans polled last year. Married people had more of a problem with it – 35% found pornography morally acceptable, a 2% decrease since last year’s poll.
2. The percentage of males between the ages of 18 to 49 who are pro-pornography rose dramatically
Sixty-seven percent of young to middle aged men had no moral issues with pornography, a 14% jump over last year’s numbers.
3. Religion has a very strong affect on attitudes towards pornography
For those who say that “religion is very important” only 22% found pornography morally acceptable. A whopping 76% of non-religious Americans had no moral objection to pornography.
According to Gallup, the change in attitudes towards pornography coincides with a changing, more permissive culture. Issues such as sex between unmarried people, gay/lesbian relations, and polygamy have also seen a “notable increase in acceptability.”
4. Democrats are more accepting of pornography than Republicans
According to Gallup, “For the first time on record, a majority of Democrats (53%) say pornography is morally acceptable.” That’s an increase from last year’s 42%, and a 21% increase since 2011.
The number of Republicans who see pornography as morally acceptable (27%) rose two points in the last year, and 11 points since 2011.
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!