A record 43% of those polled don’t think pornography is wrong. You might be surprised by who they are.
Here are a few key points that can be gleaned from the poll:
1. Unmarried people are pornography’s fasting growing proponents
When asked whether they thought pornography was morally acceptable 50% of unmarried people said “yes” compared to the 35% of unmarried Americans polled last year. Married people had more of a problem with it – 35% found pornography morally acceptable, a 2% decrease since last year’s poll.
2. The percentage of males between the ages of 18 to 49 who are pro-pornography rose dramatically
Sixty-seven percent of young to middle aged men had no moral issues with pornography, a 14% jump over last year’s numbers.
3. Religion has a very strong affect on attitudes towards pornography
For those who say that “religion is very important” only 22% found pornography morally acceptable. A whopping 76% of non-religious Americans had no moral objection to pornography.
According to Gallup, the change in attitudes towards pornography coincides with a changing, more permissive culture. Issues such as sex between unmarried people, gay/lesbian relations, and polygamy have also seen a “notable increase in acceptability.”
4. Democrats are more accepting of pornography than Republicans
According to Gallup, “For the first time on record, a majority of Democrats (53%) say pornography is morally acceptable.” That’s an increase from last year’s 42%, and a 21% increase since 2011.
The number of Republicans who see pornography as morally acceptable (27%) rose two points in the last year, and 11 points since 2011.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!