Federal court rules that 2011 mandate is unconstitutional.
The colleges, Cornerstone University in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and Dordt College in Sioux Center, Iowa, filed the lawsuit in 2013, claiming that the mandate was unconstitutional. They were both represented by the Christian nonprofit Alliance Defending Freedom.
The mandate required all health care providers to ensure access to and the supply of not only abortion services but also birth control, family planning methods, and similar resources. Religion-based hospitals and Christian universities objected to the mandate, but many were not provided an exception and faced punishment if they refused to provide services they found objectionable.
At the time the lawsuit was filed, Cornerstone President Joseph Stowell wrote an open letter, stating, “Given our conviction that life begins at conception and our commitment to the sanctity of life, we find the mandate to provide our faculty, staff and students with insurance that provides access to abortion-inducing prescriptions unacceptable.”
Similar victories have been seen by colleges in California, Indiana, and Oklahoma in recent months. Since the current administration’s Department of Health and Human Services has adopted rules which allow the previous mandate to lapse, it is likely that any such lawsuit will end with similar results.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!