A “good deed waiting to happen in your pocket.”
When a visually-impaired person requires assistance with a task — checking the expiration date on food, adjusting air conditioning, looking at directions, and more — they can request help from the app. Volunteers then receive a notification, and, if they accept the request, a live video stream will open between their phones, allowing the sighted person to answer questions, read directions aloud, or otherwise assist in whatever the person needs. Currently, the average wait time between requesting and receiving help for blind person using the app is just 30 seconds.
The founder of the app explained, “[For many blind people], even if their friends and family like to help them, it can be difficult to call them and ask for help because you are always the person asking for help. But with Be My Eyes, you know 100 percent that the person who picks up wants to help you.”
Another representative said the app has been called “a good deed waiting to happen in your pocket,” and indeed it is. If you’re visually impaired or know someone who is, consider checking out the app. If you’re sighted, consider becoming a volunteer and take advantage of the opportunity to help someone live their life with greater ease and confidence.
You can find out more in the video below.
This program lets you be a blind person's eyes anytime from anywhere in the world.
Geplaatst door We Need This op Vrijdag 1 juni 2018
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!