Jonas Knudsen’s teammates pulled together to make sure this new daddy wouldn’t miss out.
View this post on Instagram
On Tuesday we became parents to a healthy and beautiful baby girl ❤️ Everybody is doing great and we’re all ready for the World Cup of course! 😊 Thanks for all your messages. #prouddad I tirsdags blev vi forældre til en sund og smuk lille pige ❤️ Begge mine piger har det godt og vi er selvfølgelig alle mand klar til at VM starter! 🇩🇰 Mange tak for alle beskeder. #stoltfar @trine_bruun
Luckily for the defender, his teammates understood his predicament. “As a father myself I cannot imagine how hard it was for Jonas getting that message and not being there,” said goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel, as reported by the BBC. With lots of other fathers in the squad, the team decided to club together and pay for a private jet to get Knudsen back to his wife — but not before the side had beaten Peru 1-0 on Saturday, helping them qualify for the next round in the tournament.
As Schmeichel said: “We wanted to look at the human side.” As so often we forget that these world-class soccer stars, who are loved and admired by so many, still have their families to inspire and motivate them as they take to the pitch.
Thanks to the generosity of his squad, the new father was able to make a flying 24-hour visit for cuddles with his wife and new baby before returning to play for Denmark on Monday. As his team continue to progress in the tournament, we can’t help thinking that Knudsen will be more than happy to return to his new family, with or without the coveted trophy.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!