St. Hildegard von Bingen was a 12th-century botanist whose wisdom is still helpful today.
St. Hildegard (1098-1179) was declared a Doctor of the Church in October 2012, four months after her canonization. Pope Benedict XVI, who gave her this title, confirmed the exemplary character of her life and writings as a model to all Catholics. Hildegard is also known for her writings on botany and medicine. She believed it’s possible to prevent illness through nutrition. She maintained that medicine must consider the whole person: “When the body and soul work in perfect harmony, they receive the supreme reward of joy and health,” she explains.
This selection of medicinal herbs below is recommended by St. Hildegard. The descriptions are taken from her classic work Physica, a book still recognized by herbalists today. Of course, we can’t guarantee they’ll be effective — and you should always consult with a qualified healthcare professional — but you may want to consider incorporating these natural herbs into your life.
To start the slideshow, click on the first image.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!