This prayer to St. Dymphna is known for its efficacy.
Mental illnesses affect many of the people we love and it can often be difficult to see them suffer in various ways. The good news is that God is here to help and will respond eagerly to our prayers.
One effective prayer that is often prayed as a novena (for nine consecutive days) is the following prayer to St. Dymphna. She is known as the patron saint of those suffering from mental disorders and was very familiar with the negative side-effects of such cases during her life time.
She is also known as a “wonder-worker” and many who pray to her are grateful for her prompt intercession.
Here is the prayer that many turn to when confronted with mental afflictions. As a reminder, God always hears our prayers, but it is up to us whether or not we open our hearts and listen to his answer.
O God, we humbly beseech You
through Your servant, St. Dymphna,
who sealed with her blood
the love she bore You,
to grant relief to those
who suffer from mental afflictions
and nervous disorders, especially …
[Name the mentally afflicted person here.]
Saint Dymphna, helper of the mentally afflicted,
pray for us.
Saint Dymphna, comforter of the despondent,
pray for us.
Saint Dymphna, renowned for many miracles,
please hear my plea.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!