Former Thai Navy SEAL made the ultimate sacrifice in volunteer mission to rescue soccer team.
Witnesses say his last words were, “We will bring the boys home.”
Gunan’s widow, Waleeporn Gunan, shared that his life was one of service and charity. He was dedicated to helping others and tried to live each day with purpose.
“Saman once said we never knew when we would die, we can’t control that, so we need to cherish every day,” she said.
After 17 days in the cave, the 12 boys and their young coach have all returned to their families. They are mourning Gunan, and the Thai Royal Navy honored him with a special tribute.
Gunan’s widow said of him, “You are the hero in my heart. You always were and always will be.”
Now the world joins with her in recognizing his valor and honoring his legacy of sacrifice.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!