He could have sacrificed his values to achieve even bigger fame … but he chose a different path.
“The thing I’m most proud of is that I honored God with my career,” Sweeney says in the video, part of the Knights of Columbus Everyday Heroes series, referring to other players who used drugs and steroids. “I didn’t succumb to the pressure of the world because I knew it was wrong.”
Sweeney, who retired in 2011 and is now 45, is married with five kids, and in a new video he talks about the strong example of faith his own father set for him, and how he carried the Catholic faith and strong values into his own life and family.
Be sure to watch other videos from this series, including:
You can find more inspiring stories about these Everyday Heroes on the Knights of Columbus YouTube Channel.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!