For example, St. John Vianney would spend up to 18 hours in the confessional on a regular basis!
It is such an important sacrament that Pope Francis has asked parishes around the world to institute “24 Hours for the Lord,” a yearly opportunity where confession is offered for 24 hours (with rotating priests), giving all Catholics in the area a chance to avail themselves to God’s merciful love.
While it is a wonderful initiative, it is not the first time that priests have made themselves available to penitents over a long period of time. In fact, there were many holy priests throughout history who would regularly hear confessions for more than 12 hours in a day. They knew the importance of confession and encouraged their parishioners to frequent the sacrament so that they would have every opportunity to wash away their sins in the blood of Jesus, the Spotless Lamb of God.
Here are five such priests who focused their ministry on absolving sins through the power and mercy of God.
Click “launch the slideshow” in the image below:
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!