The 18th Sunday in Ordinary Time.
There have been several English texts based on Thomas’ original Latin. “Godhead Here in Hiding,” the most popular, was written by the English Jesuit poet Gerard Manley Hopkins, SJ, who died in 1889. Another English text is “Thee We Adore, O Hidden Savior, Thee,” an 1850 translation by James Russell Woodward.
In English or in Latin, St. Thomas Aquinas’ beloved Eucharistic hymn remains popular for church use or to accompany private prayer. Hear the original Latin version here:
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!