Something all parents should watch as your kids start a brand new school year …
Cryptic enough for you? Watch the video and see if you spot the trick:
Of course, the horrible and beautiful brilliance of this ad is that it shocks viewers in the best way possible. Even when you know you’re supposed to be on the lookout for something, it’s still so easy to get lost in the everyday — in the routines of high school, in the charm of an adolescent love story. You can easily get wrapped up in the story you want to see. In only noticing the “stars” of the show — the beautiful, interesting people — we miss the outliers, the ones crying out for help. The ones being bullied at the lockers, or worse.
MORE TO READ: The new Sandy Hook school: a ‘gentle fortress’
Their resulting message serves as an essential reminder not just for school age kids (though sharing this video with a teen is a good idea), but adults, too. To learn more about how to spot warning signs of depression or violence in others, visit sandyhookpromise.org.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!