These holy men and women followed in the footsteps of Jesus, even dying on a cross.
While Jesus is primarily referring to a figurative cross of suffering that all disciples are required to carry, some saints took it a step further and literally carried a cross to their own crucifixions.
They did so willingly, knowing that to die a martyr on a cross was to unite themselves completely to the sacrifice of Jesus. These saints were confident that Jesus would say similar words to them as he said to the good thief, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise” (Luke 23:43).
Here are five such saints both from ancient and recent times who took up their crosses and followed Jesus all the way to the bitter end.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!