Before anyone takes offense at this joke, the reminder that “laughter is the best medicine” actually comes from the Bible.
Proverbs 17:22: A joyful heart is the health of the body, but a depressed spirit dries up the bones.
Today’s classic Catholic joke is just what the doctor ordered.
A man suffered a serious heart attack and was taken by ambulance to the hospital for open heart bypass surgery. He woke up from the surgery to find himself in the care of nuns at a Catholic hospital. As he was recovering, a nun asked him questions regarding how he was going to pay for his medical services. He was asked if he had health insurance.
He replied, “No health insurance.”
The nun asked if he had money in the bank. He replied, “No money in the bank.”
The nun asked, “Do you have a relative who could help you?”
He said, “I only have a spinster sister who is a nun.”
The nun got a little irritated and announced loudly, “Nuns are not spinsters! Nuns are married to God.”
The patient replied, “Then send the bill to my brother-in-law.”
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!