The prayer looks forward to the day and asks for God’s peace to inhabit the soul.
Yet, God urges us to lay aside our anxieties and embrace his will for us, trusting in his providence. While our day may seem overwhelming, God is right there at our side, ready to guide us in the right direction.
When we let God take control of our lives, we can finally relax and be at peace, knowing that all will be well.
Below is a version of a prayer attributed to the Metropolitan Philaret of Moscow, a holy bishop of the Russian Orthodox Church during the 19th century.
Grant, O Lord, that I may face all that this new day is to bring with peace of mind. Grant that I may dedicate myself completely to Your holy will.
For every hour of this day, instruct and support me in all things. Whatsoever I may receive during the day, teach me to accept them tranquilly, with the firm conviction that everything comes by Your holy will.
Govern my thoughts and feelings in all I do and say. When unforeseen things occur, do not let me forget that everything comes from You.
Teach me to behave sincerely and wisely toward every member of my family, not embittering or embarrassing others.
Grant me strength, my Lord, to bear the fatigue of the coming day and all that it shall bring. Guide my will and teach me to pray, to believe, to hope, to suffer, to forgive, and to love, and pray Yourself in me. Amen.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!