A couple married for 64 years has found the key to staying happy — and fit!
Father Goyo Hidalgo, pastor of St. Rose of Lima parish in Los Angeles, recently posted on social media about an 89-year-old man named Frank. Married for 64 years, Frank is in great physical shape and is unshakeably devoted to his wife. He says that walking and praying have been key to maintaining health and happiness for him, as well as for his marriage.
“When we got married we promised each other that whoever is wrong in an argument will walk an hour around the block. I have walked a lot. You can say we have a happy marriage.”
Frank continued his explanation, as reported by Fr. Goyo:
“I walked a lot, Father. Believe me — hehe. Then my wife started walking with me, you know, to be together. So after a while we just started to walk together and pray in the mornings, and then we just skipped arguing altogether.”
It sounds like a simple thing, but it’s actually quite profound: the practice of humility by the husband — recognizing he was wrong and taking a walk — was met with love and forgiveness by his wife, who accompanied him on his walks (and surely vice versa when the wife was wrong). This led to time spent together, and conversation with each other and with God. Naturally, their relationship became stronger.
Humility, forgiveness, communication, shared exercise, and prayer: what better recipe could there be for a healthy marriage?
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!