Try these prayers and open yourself up to the blessings of God.
Eastern Christians have a rich tradition of their own and many different meal prayers. Below are two of the most common, said by many Byzantine and Orthodox believers around the world.
If you are looking for an alternative meal prayer, try these prayers and open yourself up to the blessings of God.
Prayer before meals
O Christ God, bless + the food and drink of Your servants for You are holy always, now and ever, and forever. Amen.
Prayer after meals
We thank You, Christ our God, for You have satisfied us with the good things of Your earth. Do not deprive us of Your heavenly kingdom but as You appeared to Your disciples, O Savior, granting them peace-come also to us and save us. Lord have mercy. (Three times)
Blessed is our God who, through His grace and loving kindness, is merciful to us and nourishes us from the abundance of His gifts, always, now and ever, and forever. Amen.
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!