The Church provides for us a rich selection of readings for each day leading up to Christmas.
One easy and simple way to read the Bible with the intention of preparing for Christmas is to read the readings the Church has selected for daily Mass. It provides a rich source of meditation and takes a person through powerful prophecies of the Old Testament.
For example, many of the First Readings take you on a journey through the book of Isaiah, highlighting all of the passages referencing the coming of the Messiah. As the days draw near to the celebration of Christmas, the passages become more explicit in their prophecy, such as this passage from Isaiah for December 20.
The LORD spoke to Ahaz:
Ask for a sign from the LORD, your God;
let it be deep as the nether world, or high as the sky!
But Ahaz answered,
“I will not ask! I will not tempt the LORD!”
Then Isaiah said:
Listen, O house of David!
Is it not enough for you to weary men,
must you also weary my God?
Therefore the Lord himself will give you this sign:
the virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
and shall name him Emmanuel. (Isaiah 7:10-14)
There are also passages from the prophets Jeremiah, Baruch, and Micah and the wise scribe Sirach. They all build upon each other and culminate in the birth of the Messiah on Christmas day.
If you are looking for a simple way to prepare your heart for Christmas, consider reading the scriptures passages selected by the Church for this purpose. The easiest place to find these readings is on the USCCB website.
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!