The prayer recalls Lucy’s miraculous resistance to the cruel efforts of her enemies.
Ever since her martyrdom in the 4th century Lucy has been invoked as a powerful intercessor against sexual temptations.
Below is a prayer to St. Lucy for this intention found in the Raccolta, a collection of prayers that dates to the early 19th century.
By that singular predilection, O glorious Saint Lucy, which thy immaculate Spouse, Jesus Christ, had for thee, when by an unheard of miracle He rendered thee immovable in spite of all the attempts of thy enemies to drag thee into a place of sin and infamy, obtain for me the grace never to yield to the temptations of the world, the flesh, and the devil, and the fight constantly against their assaults by the continual mortification of all my senses.
Pray for us, O blessed Lucy.
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
Let us Pray.
Mercifully hear us, O God of our salvation, that even as we rejoice in the constant faith of blessed Lucy, thy Virgin and Martyr, so we may be instructed in sentiments of loving devotion. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!