The new statue will be nearly twice as tall as the current record holder.
The project was imagined and organized by Eduardo Verástegui Córdoba, a Mexican actor who is native to Tamaulipas. Mexico News Daily reports that Verástegui said the purpose of the project is to leave a legacy of peace for the state in which he was born. The statue will show Christ’s arms outspread, as if offering a supportive hug.
The construction will be conducted by Fernando Romero, whose firm designed the Mexico City airport, atop an expansive esplanade large enough to accommodate a crowd of 10,000 people.
Developers hope to turn the area into a thriving hot spot for pilgrims and tourists, who will be able to take advantage of the many facilities and services to come, including a church, restaurants, stores, a convention center, a shelter for pilgrims, a hotel, an amphitheater, a handicrafts market, funicular and cable car stations and a residential area.
Verástegui said he planned to travel to Rome to present his project to Pope Francis. While no details have been released in reference to the cost or funding of the project, the Catholic Church said construction should commence in early 2019.
Promoters of the statue were quoted saying that the Christ of Peace would represent “a message of faith, love, hope and peace.”
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!