The bishops are gathered in Chicago through January 8
The bishops are gathered at Mundelein Seminary in Chicago for seven days of prayer, through January 8.
Father Cantalamessa will direct the retreat with the theme “He appointed Twelve, to be with Him and to Send Out to Preach,” based on Mark 3:14. The bishops will have their meals in silence and have adequate time for silent reflection.
The current president of the US bishops, Houston’s Cardinal Daniel DiNardo, asked the faithful to pray for the bishops during this time of prayer.
Father Cantalamessa was appointed the Preacher to the Papal Household by Pope John Paul II in 1980. He has remained in this position through the pontificates of Pope Benedict XVI and Pope Francis.
The preacher of the pontifical household is the only person who preaches to the pope; he gives a weekly reflection to the Holy Father and the Curia each Advent and Lent, and preaches at certain papal liturgies.
Read some of his homilies here.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!