His own struggle with compulsive eating inspired him to help others.
After his father left when he was four years old, he sought comfort in eating. He says it became for him an “emotional experience” to cope with the anger and rejection he felt. But his suffering over losing his earthly father also prompted him to rely more fully on his Heavenly Father.
After hitting rock bottom, gaining 70 pounds in six months, he realized he needed help and he sought out a recovery center for priests. Ultimately, facing his demons has allowed him to grow as a man and as a member of the clergy.
“I know through this whole process of recovery and addiction that there are so many people that struggle,” he says. “And so that’s why it’s important to have a priest who understands that process and to meet people where they are. For me it’s a very personal responsibility, empowering me to spread this message of wellness among the people.”
Fr. Ryan’s story testifies to the universal struggle to battle our demons and the powerful love that can result when we do, helping others to walk along the path towards healing.
You can watch the full video below.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!