Fluffy and lacking substance, the spirit born of the Father of Lies leads to nothing …
The pope offered this illustration today in the Casa Santa Marta, reflecting on today’s reading from St. John: If anyone says, “I love God,” but hates his brother, he is a liar.
The spirit of the world always divides families and society, the pope said. But the spirit of God demands that we love our brothers.
If you are not capable of loving God in practice, then it’s not true that you love God. And the spirit of the world is a spirit of division. When it gets into a family, a community, a society, it always creates division. Always. And the divisions grow and then comes hate and war. John goes farther and says, “If anyone says, ‘I love God,’ but hates his brother, he is a liar.” That is to say, a son of the spirit of the world, which is pure lies, pure appearances. And this is something it would be good to think about. Do I love God?
The Holy Father then suggested signs that I do truly love God, as shown in my love for neighbor. Among them are putting a halt to feelings of jealousy and the evil of gossip. But the first sign, he says, is praying for our enemies.
The first sign, the question that all of us need to ask ourselves: Do I pray for people? For all of them, concretely, those who I like and those who I don’t, those who are my friends and those who aren’t? That’s first.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!