The internet is full of treasures of the cinema that won’t cost you a dime. You just have to know where to find them.
The folks at Open Culture have done the hard work of tracking them all down and compiled a list of classics, independent movies, westerns, film noir and documentaries so you can binge watch your heart out.
To see the entire list visit Open Culture here.
There’s something for every taste. Here’s just a very small sample of what you’ll find (descriptions from Open Culture):
- A Farewell to Arms – Free – Gary Cooper and Helen Hayes star in a film based on famous novel by Ernest Hemingway. (1932)
- As You Like It – Free – It’s Laurence Olivier’s earliest Shakespeare performance on film. It’s also the first feature-length British sound Shakespeare film. (1936)
- Castello Cavalcanti – Free – Wes Anderson’s short film takes place in a hamlet tucked away somewhere in Italy. Features Jason Schwartzman, star of Anderson’s 1998 breakout Rushmore. (2013)
- Charade – Free – Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn star in the best Hitchcock film that Hitchcock never made. (1963) See below:
[archiveorg id=Charade19631280x696 width=640 height=480]
- Great Expectations – Free -The classic story of Pip the British orphan. Based on the great Charles Dickens novel available in our collection of Free eBooks. (1946)
- Rembrandt – Free – A luminous biopic of the legendary Dutch painter. Alexander Korda considered this to be his finest film. (1936)
- The 39 Steps – Free – One of Alfred Hitchcock’s first hits. British thriller is based on novel with same name by John Buchan. (1935)
- Auschwitz – Free – Steven Spielberg creates a short documentary, narrated by Meryl Streep, on the Nazi concentration camp where 1.1 million people, most of them European Jews, were killed during World War II. (2015)
- Tolstoy Remembered – Free – Documentary features Tolstoy’s daughter. Directed by Michael Rabiger. See below:
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!