One man’s efforts to end loneliness among senior citizens will put a smile on your face.
While living back with his parents, he set up a the charity B:Friend, an organization that matches volunteers, or “befrienders,” with isolated elderly members of society. The befriender visits their match for one hour a week to chat over a drink.
As Niles points out, loneliness can be crippling, so his network helps volunteers “be there” for the all too often neglected elderly generation. The results are both effective and heart-warming. Just watch the video to see the look of joy on these seniors’ faces. As for Niles, he says it’s “the best job I’ve ever had.”
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!