Gov. Mike DeWine took the oath of office while his wife held the nine family Bibles.
According to USA Today, the governor and first lady, who are practicing Catholics, wanted a Bible to represent each of their eight children. The couple’s son, Ohio Supreme Court Justice R. Patrick DeWine, swore in the governor.
Each Bible holds a place in the DeWine family history. Here is the list provided by DeWine’s office:
- His late daughter Becky DeWine’s childhood Bible
- His great-grandmother Gertrude Budd’s Bible
- His grandmother Ruth Perkins Liddle’s New Testament, given to her by her father, a minister, on her 18th birthday, 100 years ago
- His grandfather Albert Liddle’s New Testament, issued to him by the United States Navy while he has serving during World War I
- His Aunt Mickey’s (Elizabeth Ann DeWine Harwood’s) Bible, given to her by her grandmother
- A New Testament that the Governor and First Lady acquired many years ago in Jerusalem
- A Study Bible given to the Governor by Lloyd Ogilvie, chaplain of the United States Senate
- His mother Jean DeWine’s Bible
- The Governor and First Lady’s Bible that Fran gave to Mike on their 10th wedding anniversary
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!