From the Roman Ritual, this prayer is often prayed with a relic of the holy cross in hand.
At times it may seem like God is “sleeping,” as Jesus was during the storm at sea featured in the Gospels. However, his apostles woke him up and begged him to do something.
Jesus responded, calming the waves and the wind while also urging his disciples to have faith in him.
Today we can similarly pray to God, asking him to calm the weather and protect us during extreme storms. But remember, while God always answers our prayers, it may not be in the manner we expect.
Below is a weather blessing that is to be said by a priest. It is found in the Roman Ritual and is often said with a relic of the true cross of Jesus Christ.
V. From lightning strikes, hail, and violent storms.
R. Deliver us, O Lord Jesus Christ.
V. Show us, O Lord, Thy mercy.
R. And grant us Thy salvation.
V. O Lord, hear my prayer.
R. And let my cry come unto Thee.
V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit.
Let us pray. We beseech Thee, O Almighty God, through the intercession of Holy Mary, the Mother of God, of the holy angels, patriarchs, prophets, apostles, martyrs, confessors, virgins, widows, and of all Thy saints, that Thou show us Thy continuing protection, permit tranquil winds, and also pour out to us, Thy unworthy servants, Thy safety from heaven above against lightning strikes and violent storms, and that Thou remain always protective of the human race and crush down the aerial powers by the right hand of Thy power. Through the same Christ our Lord.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!