Russian Railway Tours’ Temple Car provides rolling space for Divine Liturgy.
Prime among travelers’ concerns for such a long journey would have to be sleeping accommodations, of course, followed by opportunities for sightseeing—both from the window and on the ground. Russian Railway Tours has all that covered. And on every train there is a dining car, a bar car and a saloon car.
But, since the train originates in Russia and crosses over 5,700 miles of Russian territory, the company also provides for passengers’ religious needs, with its Temple Car.
“Temple Car is designed to conduct Orthodox worships on both passage and at the stops,” the company’s website advises. “This car has everything that is necessary to be in a common church: altar, iconostasis, a small bell hanging on the ceiling. A unique painting can be found just outside the temple car. In a lodging car, there is a compartment for parish clergy of the mobile church, a sacristy, and even a small religious library.”
The chapel car is not normally on every trans-Siberian trip but must be arranged for ahead of time by those who wish to have the opportunity for Divine Liturgy while in motion, said Ksenia Sergeeva, a spokeswoman for the rail company.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!