When the devil sees this, he always slinks back to where he came from.
Peter Damian recognized the presence of evil and did what he could to expel its hold on certain members of the clergy.
When writing to a nephew, Peter Damian revealed to him what he saw as a powerful weapon against the devil.
If I may speak figuratively, drive out the roaring beasts from your domain; do not cease from protecting yourself daily by receiving the Flesh and Blood of the Lord. Let your secret foe see your lips reddened with the Blood of Christ. He will shudder, cower back, and flee to his dark, dank retreat.
He is referring to the worthy reception of Holy Communion at Mass, a potent weapon that crushes the head of the serpent every time.
Exorcists agree that the frequent reception of Holy Communion is a vital way to prevent the demon from working in your heart.
If you need to root out sin and the presence of the devil in your life, go to confession and receive the Eucharist on a regular basis. The devil will have no choice but to go back to his “dark, dank retreat.”
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!