God has worked miracles through the pious use of these saintly oils.
The apostles didn’t have to use physical things such as oil to heal the sick, but Jesus specifically had them use oil to bring about miraculous healings. And Jesus continues to do similar healings today through the intercession of the saints and the sacramentals of the Church. One such sacramental that has brought about many miraculous healings over the centuries has been oil that is associated with various saints.
Often these oils are collected at the tombs of the saints, or created when putting a first class relic within a vat of oil. In either case, many people claim to be healed through the pious use of these oils.
Blessed oil is not a “lucky charm” that instantly cures anyone it touches, but we know that God has chosen to work through the material world he created. It is not the oil itself that heals, but the power of God through the intercession of a particular saint.
Above is a short slideshow that highlights six oils that have a history of miraculous healing.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!