Going into the desert of Lent requires strength to combat the sworn enemy of your soul.
Jesus’ time in the desert was spent combating the temptations of the devil, and so too our season of Lent is marked by spiritual warfare. It’s not an easy season, but one where we are promised victory over our sins through the grace and power of Jesus Christ.
One way to start off Lent on the right foot is to pray this prayer from the liturgy of Ash Wednesday. Below is a translation from the traditional Latin Mass, known as the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite.
Grant us, O Lord, to begin our Christian warfare with holy fasts;
that as we are about to do battle with the spirits of evil
we may be defended by the aid of self-denial. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
The Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite has a similar prayer, which can also be used to bolster your spirits at the beginning of Lent.
Grant, O Lord, that we may begin with holy fasting this campaign of Christian service,
so that, as we take up battle against spiritual evils, we may be armed with weapons of self-restraint.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the holy spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!